18 April, 2023
Centre for Human Rights and Robert F Kennedy Human Rights hosts Inter-Mechanism Dialogue between the Commissioners and Secretariats of the African Commission and Inter-American Commission
Between 12 and 14 April 2023, the Centre for Human Rights at the University of Pretoria and Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights hosted an Inter-Mechanism Dialogue between the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (African Commission) and the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (Inter-American Commission). The dialogue aimed to strengthen and institutionalize strategic cooperation between the two regional human rights watchdogs, and promote knowledge transfer, and best practices in human rights promotion and protection across their regions. The event also offered a platform for civil society organizations, including AfricanDefenders and DefendDefenders, from Africa and the Americas to engage with the two Commissions and share strategies and methods for advancing human rights. The dialogue concluded with recommendations on improving the efficacy of the Commissions through strategic collaboration, consultations with civil society organizations, and sharing of best practices. The Centre, with observer status at the African Commission, organized the event in collaboration with RFK, a US-based NGO that works closely with both Commissions. The National Endowment for Democracy supported the gathering.
For more information contact :
Tel: +27 (0) 12 420 3151
Fax: +27 (0) 86 580 5743
The delegation of the African Commission was composed of
- Hon Remy Ngoy Lumbu, (Chairperson),
- Hon Maya Sahli Fadel, (Vice Chairperson),
- Hon Ourveena Geereesha Topsy-Sonoo (Commissioner),
- Lindiwe Khumalo (Acting Executive Secretary) and
- Abiola Idowu-Ojo, (Senior Legal Officer).
The delegation of the Inter-American Commission was composed of
- Hon Margarette May Macaulay, (President), Hon Roberta Clarke, (Vice-president),
- Hon Joel Hernandez (Commissioner),
- Hon Pedro Vaca (Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Expression),
- Dr Tania Reneaum, (Executive Secretary) and
- Marisol Blanchard Vera (Senior Advisor).