26 septembre, 2019
Civil Society Organisations call for United Nations Security Council Action on Sudan coup
The aspiration of the Sudanese people must be protected and supported!
In a statement, AfricanDefenders joins other African civil society organisations in rejecting military rule and expressing the need for a civilian leadership through a democratic transition.
Additionally, we call upon the UN Security Council to support long term peace and security in Sudan by:
- Ensuring that the Council’s focus on Sudan is expanded to include the impacts of the coup;
- Supporting the right of protestors to freedom of expression and assembly and mechanism to protect peaceful activists, especially women;
- Expressing support for the Sudanese people’s demand for an urgent transition to a civilian government in line with the core principles of the UN Charter and the Universal Declaration on Human Rights, and requesting the Secretary-General to use his good offices to facilitate such an agreement with a short, clear timeline;
- Remain committed to supporting a comprehensive and gender inclusive democratic transition in the country; and
- Ensuring that women are recognized as equal partners in political negotiations and that gender considerations are comprehensively integrated into the transition process in line with the commitments of UN Security Council Resolution 1325.